Friday, September 3, 2010

Recipes

English Muffin Pizza
This recipe saved me one night during an unexpected visit from all the neighborhood kids. They were having such a great time playing, but they got hungry! I opened my trusty Joy of Cooking book (p.182) and found this simple, inexpensive recipe that took a few minutes and fed the whole crew! At the time I didn't have English Muffins, so I substituted tortillas (which were a hit). And later I tried the recipe with english muffins and my kids really enjoyed it!

1 to 2 servings

Spit in half:
1 English muffin

Toast the flat sides under the broiler. Spread the untoasted sides with:
1 tablespoon tomato sauce, chili sauce, or catsup

Sprinkle with:
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

Top each with:
1/4 cup grated Cheddar, mozzarella or Swiss

Over all:
1 teaspoon olive oil

Broil until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.

****

My kids love pancakes for breakfast, so I thought I'd surprise them with sweet Crepes.
The kids loved it and so did I! Here's my favorite recipe from The Joy of Cooking (p. 649).

Savory Or Sweet Crepes

Savory Crepes
Combine in a bowl and mix until smooth:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup lukewarm water
4 large eggs
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Sweet Crepes
Prepare as above, adding 3 tablespoons sugar and decreasing the salt to 1/8 teaspoon.