Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Gentle Answer..

(From "Proverbs for Parenting" by Charisse Williams)

Proverb 15:1
~ "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger."

Thought:
"It is so important to remember that it is not only what I say to my children, but how I say it. When my words are gentle yet firm, they can respond out of a desire to please. When they are harsh, their response is all confused with self preservation, blame, hurt and a desire to either withdraw from me or lash out at me. They can hear and receive my correction better when it is gentle but firm."

Challenge:
"Think before I speak every time I have something to correct, so that I may not have harsh words fly out and can replace them with a loving, gentle yet firm correction."

Prayer:
"Lord, this is the way You correct me, please help me to be characterized by gentleness, not harshness, as I grow up in You. Lord, protect my children from developing a reservoir of wrath and anger because of my harsh words."