Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving

This week we focus on the holiday of Thanksgiving.  However, in the midst of fall break and holiday parties and cold season, we are so super busy and overwhelmed that it seems impossible to quietly take a moment and be sincerely thankful.  For me, personally, I realized that there was one more thing that I overlooked that was keeping me from being thankful (besides having a busy schedule and being deprived of sleep).  Forgiveness.  There were some wrongs that I made in the past that I made right by asking for forgiveness, however I was still experiencing guilt.

I realized that God was telling me that there was another part of forgiveness that I overlooked.  Although others may have forgiven me and I may have forgiven others,  have I forgiven myself?  That's such a foreign concept.  But it is necessary to move on and live in peace in order to be in a position to be thankful.

Forgiving myself means to set myself free from self-condemnation.  If Christ can forgive me then I should definitely be able to forgive myself.   Romans 8:1 says,  "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."  When I realized this great truth, my spirit was so free to focus on Christ, not on myself, not on my burdens, and not on my faults.

If this sounds like something you can relate to in your life.  Ask the Lord in a simple prayer to give you strength and courage to forgive yourself and cleanse your conscience from all guilt and condemnation.  Then release your burdens to the Lord, cast your cares upon Him.  Feel the freedom of a lightweight, guilt-free life . . . and start praising the Lord with Thanksgiving!