Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Saving on Groceries



In this economy, and during this time of financial instability, most of us are having to cut costs however we can. You may be buying less clothing and toys for your children, dining out less often, finding free entertainment for your family by going to the beach or the pool.... I believe a lot of us are on the same boat.

Recently, I have been trying to cut costs by spending less on groceries. This is a HUGE challenge for me because I love eating and cooking for my family. Here are some great ideas/ways to save on groceries (suggested by friends and people I know that have already mastered this!):



1) Use coupons!...Grocery Saving Tips says "Try to think of them as cash and you might be a little more motivated to use them on a regular basis".

2) Stick to "the list"... this takes a lot of self-discipline.. I always find other "goodies" in the store that end up in my cart.

3) Plan meals around sale items... a brilliant idea!

4) Cook in larger portions... it's cheaper and you can save leftovers for nights you don't feel like cooking!

5) Buy store brands.. typically less $$

6) Buy organic items from "The Dirty Dozen" list (below)


The Dirty Dozen- Top 12 Foods to Buy Organic:
1. Meat
2. Dairy
3. Coffee
4. Peaches
5. Apples
6. Bell Peppers
7. Celery
8. Nectarines
9. Strawberries
10. Cherries
11. Kale
12. Leafy Greens

The Clean 15- Foods You Don't Have to Buy Organic:
1. Onions
2. Avocado
3. Corn
4. Pineapple
5. Mango
6. Asparagus
7. Sweet Pea
8. Kiwi
9. Cabbage
10. Eggplant
11. Papaya
12. Watermelon
13. Broccoli
14. Tomato
15. Sweet Potato

Decreasing our grocery budget and disciplining myself to do the above seem like a monumental task... but I am praying that once I get in the habit, it will become easy.... and hopefully fun!