Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thank You God...


I just LOVE listening to my 2 year old praying... Often times, she will pray before she eats, thanking God for her food, for her family (names each one), and for her friends (names the ones she played with that day). It mostly sounds like gibberish to me, and I can only pick out some words here and there... but it's SO neat that God knows her heart and is faithful to answer her prayers!

One day, she was reading "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and after the part where the caterpillar ate a watermelon, she wanted to eat one herself. I told her that we would have to go to the store and buy one (not having any idea whether the store would have any and whether it was even in season). So on our way to the store, we prayed a simple prayer together... "that God would provide us a watermelon so we can enjoy it that afternoon". As soon as we got to the store, we noticed a HUGE box of cute little mini watermelons (just for her!) right in front of the entrance doors! I just thought, "Thank you God for showing yourself to my little girl!"

This experience reminded me how important it is not only to teach my children how to pray but to pray with them.. the things that concern their heart (and mine), no matter how big or small.

As we celebrate the National Day of Prayer today, pray with your child (out loud) ... and see how He answers!

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6