Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Universal Baby Language


Did you know that ALL babies, regardless of their nationality, speak the same language from ages 0-3 months?

Priscilla Dunstan, founder of Dunstan Baby, made this amazing discovery after giving birth to her son. Her story is actually pretty amazing.. You can read more about it here. I first saw her on the Oprah show when I was pregnant with my first child. Here are the notes I took:

Neh- means "I'm hungry"

Heh- means "I'm uncomfortable"

Eh- means "I need to be burped"

Owh- means "I'm tired"


Supposedly, this language only lasts up to 3 months... But I'm certain that my 5 month old still says "Neh" when she is hungry and "Owh (or Awh)" when she is tired. If you are a Mama with a newborn, you MUST give this a try. Understanding your baby's cries will not only help you with your sanity, but will also help you to become a better listener!

You can also check out the video clip of Oprah's show here.